International students work together on a laptop.


You will find answers to frequently asked questions here.

Hier finden Sie Antworten auf die am häufigsten gestellten Fragen.

Information for refugees from Ukraine

I studied in Ukraine and would like to continue my studies at the THWS. Where should I start?

It is very important to understand that the education systems in Ukraine and Germany are different. Only those who have completed 11 years of school and at least the first year at a university or Studienkolleg in Germany are entitled to study at a German university. You can only continue your studies in the subject area you started in Ukraine. You can only change your degree programme and enrol in another degree programme if you have already completed a university degree.

It is also important to know whether you need to meet the requirements of your chose study programme (language requirements, internships, entrance exams, etc.). Please see the admission requriements at THWS for detailed information.

I want to apply for a job, who can help me?

In Germany, the Federal Employment Agency (Bundesamt für Arbeit) is responsible for helping you find a job and with further education or retraining. The employment office will advise you in Ukrainian or Russian. 

Are refugees covered by health insurance?

If you have registered under paragraph 24, you can receive free insurance from the state. The scope of benefits and offers in this case differ from the normal student insurance. You have to contact the state health insurance company in order for THWS to accept this type of insurance, and they will confirm your registration directly with THWS.

You can also take out regular student health insurance, but you have to pay for it yourself (about 110 euros per month).

Can I continue my studies online?

The Virtual University of Bavaria (vhb) would like to help Ukrainians continue their studies quickly and unbureaucratically with its offer for students from Ukraine, but also for those who have stayed in Ukraine. Those who have to or had to interrupt their studies in Ukraine due to the war have the opportunity to take courses at Bavarian universities online via the vhb and thus acquire ECTS credits, which the students can have credited to their home university at a later date.

Does the THWS offer a support service for students who need psychological support due to the situation in Ukraine?

The THWS Student Health Management (SGM) offers prevention, support and mediation on all topics related to physical and mental health.

Are there scholarships for prospective students from Ukraine?

The BAYHOST project offers the Taras Shevchenko Scholarship Programme of the Free State of Bavaria for German courses for prospective students from Ukraine in 2022. These scholarships for courses in Bavaria include course fees, accommodation and meals.

Prospective students (high school graduates as well as university students) from Ukraine with a previous knowledge of German (at least A2 level) can apply to BAYHOST. Applicants must be able to demonstrate that they intend to study in Bavaria and must be 18 or older at the time of application. The scholarships are primarily awarded to Ukrainians who are already in Germany as refugees or who will be coming to Germany.

Applications are made via the online portal StipSys and applications are accepted continuously as long as scholarship places are available. The courses start in mid-July / early August - we recommend applying early!

Further information regarding the summer courses and the application process are available on our website and on our BAYHOST facebook profile.

We would also like to inform you that BAYHOST has been operating a coordination office in Ukraine since April 2022 within the framework of the Taras Shevchenko Programme, which bundles support and assistance offers for Ukrainian students and academics and is available to them as a contact point. You can find all information at BAYHOST Coordination Office Ukraine - University of Regensburg (

Does the THWS offer German courses for refugees from Ukraine?

A free online course in German at level B2 is planned from February 2023. The course is aimed at those who want to study at our university in the future. Please register till 20.01.23 here.

If you already have or will soon have a B1 level in German, you can apply now and register for a B2 intensive course, which will take place in August-September. Once you have passed the exam and enrolled for your chosen course, you can start your studies at the THWS on 1.10.2023. You will find the links to the language courses on the website of the Campus for Language Proficiency. On the Campus Language website you can also send the form to register for language courses for refugees.

How can I apply to the THWS, if I have lost documents while fleeing or can no longer obtain them?

In these cases, we will run a plausibility check. Therefore, we will evaluate internally whether the prerequisites for admission are given. Should you be interested in this, please contact the THWS projects "Integra" and "Welcome" via mail to refugees.welcome[at]

Integra and Welcome are funded by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). The team supports refugees who are willing and capable of higher education studies during their preparation for and transition into studies.

Please see the Integra and welcome website for further information.

I am a refugee from Ukraine, can I continue my study at THWS?

1. If you are not an ukrainian passport holder:

  • If you come from a safe country of origin:

        The current information we have, says that you can stay in Germany. However, before you
        start studying in Germany, you would have to leave for your home country to apply for a study
        visa for Germany on the spot.

  • If you have already fled to Ukraine from an unsafe home country/war zone, you can apply for a study visa locally in Germany.

        After your admission, our International Student Support will guide you with any questions you
        may have on this topic.

After your application, the faculty will check whether your academic achievements from Ukraine can be recognised at our university and in the subject you have chosen.

You can either apply for a higher semester. In that case, your previous achievements will be reviewed during the admission examination.

Or you can apply for the first semester and submit your previous university achievements to the faculty via a form within the first four weeks of the semester.

Please note that the process credit recognition can only be gone through once.

If your application for a higher semester is unsuccessful, your application will be disqualified.

If you are not sure whether your university records are sufficient for an admission in a higher semester of the selected study programme, please apply additionally for the first semester.

Please contact, if you need any further guidance in your application process.


2. If you are ukrainian passport holder, please find all details here.


Which degree programmes can I study at THWS?

Find here a list of all study programmes.

Which degree programmes can I study in English?

Currently, THWS offers the following BA programmes in English:
- Business and Engineering (B.Eng.)
- International Management (B.A.)
- Logistics (B.Eng.)
- Mechatronics (B.Eng.)
- Robotics (B. Eng.)

In addition, THWS offers the following MA programmes in English:
- Business with Europe (MBA)
- International Social Work with Refugees and Migrants (M. A.)
- International Business with Focus on Western Europe, or Focus on Asia or Focus on Central and Eastern Europe (MBA)
- Artificial Intelligence (M. Sc.)
- Managing Global Dynamics (M.A.)
- Management of Business Transformation (MBA)

What is the difference between a university and a college/university of applied sciences?

The Fachhochschule or University of Applied Sciences differs from the traditional university (Universität) mainly through its more practical orientation. In Germany, a Hochschule is the general name for higher education. A University and a University of Applied Science are both a Hochschule. It is the generalization. A Fachhochschule on the other hand is just the University of Applied Science.

Under the harmonised system (Bologna declaration) there is no legal academic difference between the bachelor's and master's degrees conferred by the Universities of Applied Sciences and universities.

When can I apply for a degree programme?

Please check the following link for detailed information:

How many degree programmes can I apply for?

You can apply for as many degree programmes as you like during the application phase. After admission, you must decide on a degree programme to complete your enrolment procedure. You must apply for each desired degree programme via the THWS applicant portal.

Is there a preparatory course at the THWS?

THWS does not have its own Studienkolleg/Foundation year programme. This means you need to search for a Studienkolleg and apply for it on your own.

Before applying for a Studienkolleg, please read the information on the Studienkolleg's website regarding application deadlines. Also, carefully read important information regarding language requirements, entrance examinations, and tuition fees.

You need to choose a technical direction (T-course) if you would like to study our degree programs Mechatronics (B.Eng.), Logistics (B.Eng.), Business and Engineering (B.Eng.) or Robotics (B.Eng.).

Further Studienkolleg directions are:
W-course: for degree programmes in economics and social sciences
G-course: for humanities programmes
WW-course: for degree programmes in economics and business administration
GD-course: for creative and artistic degree programmes
SW-course: for social science degree programmes

Several Studienkollegs and websites are listed here:
Studienkolleg Coburg
- Public Studienkolleg with German as language of instruction. In order to apply you need to hold German level B2.

Berlin International College
- Private Studienkolleg in Berlin with English as language of instruction.

ISB Studienkolleg
- Private Studienkolleg in Braunschweig with German or English as medium of instruction.

All other Studienkollegs in Germany 

Concerning the Studienkollegs in other German Federal States: Please make sure that the certificate you get from a specific Studienkolleg does not restrict you for studying only in the state the Studienkolleg is situated in or a specific university. For example: If your final certificate states that you are now eligible to study at Universities at the federal state Niedersachsen you cannot be admitted to THWS, which is located in the federal state of Bavaria.

Please note that Berlin International College (BIC) is a partner of THWS and offers Studienkolleg courses in English. We started this cooperation due to the demand for a Studienkolleg for our programs with English as the language of instruction. After graduating BIC, you will be eligible to study only at our university. As part of the cooperation of BIC and our university, you will receive a conditional admission letter from THWS. Please contact BIC directly (info[at] to get more information about admission requirements and necessary documents for the application process.

Can I apply for a scholarship?

With the exception of MBA programmes, students at THWS do not pay tuition fees. For this the university cannot provide full time scholarships. However, there are some possibilities for short time financial support. Find more information about scholarship options on our website.

There are also other organisations that may offer you a scholarship. Please see the following websites to find out about scholarships for international students from your home country.

Are there tuition fees?

With the exception of MBA programmes, students at THWS do not pay tuition fees. You will only be charged an administration fee depending on your campus.

Please find the current semester fees at our website.

The fee for both campuses inlcudes a semester ticket for the use of the public transportation system.

Do I need a CV or a letter of motivation?

No letter of motivation, CV or recommendation is required when applying for THWS degree programmes. You must enter all previous periods of study (universities) abroad AND in Germany in full when applying via the online application portal of THWS.

What is a numerus clausus (NC), how high is it and which programmes have NC?

Numerus Clausus (NC) means limited number of study places. The university does not set a limit, but rather determines the number of available places in its admission regulations. This means that all study places will be given only based on the highest grades of the students and the region they are from: Germany, European Union and Non-European Union. The admission procedure results in the average grade or number of points up to which admission could be granted. This is to guarantee a fair entrance according with the Education Strategie of the German Government. At each program where there is Numerus Clausus, there is a limit on the number of students admitted for the 1 semester. You can find information about whether your program has any NC in the description of the study program.


In our download area you will find the "Information about assigning procedures in bachelor´s programmes with restricted admission" with the NC quotas of the last semesters.

Is there an age limit to study at THWS?

There are no limitations on age for applying and getting admission in German universities for (international) students.

How long does it take to complete a study programme at THWS?

- Bachelor Programme: 7 semesters (3.5 years)
- Master Programme: 3 semesters (1,5 years)

Are the Bachelor's degree programmes at the THWS accredited?

The Technichal University of Applied Sciences Würzburg-Schweinfurt is a state university. Due to this the university is certified and all programmes are accredited. We are accrideted by the German government.

How do you transfer from another European/non-European college/university?

When changing to THWS from another higher education institution periods of study, study achievements and credit points will be transferred as long as the module rates do not differ significantly. Please note, your university must be accredited and recognized. The applicant is required to present all documents necessary for the transfer of credits/periods etc. The examination committee makes the decision about credit transfer together with the responsible representatives from the individual degree programme.

Therefore, THWS is not able to tell applicants in advance into which semester they will be admitted or which credits will be transferred.

Depending on the faculty offering your degree programme, necessary forms are available either from your faculty or at the Student Service (HSST).

After a check for completeness, your application is forwarded to the responsible examination committees or the person responsible for the chosen degree programme. A formal notification will be issued with the examination committee’s decision about accredited modules and an information into which semester you are placed depending on the number of CP you have previously earned. For more information, please contact the person at HSST listed for your degree programme.

Changing to THWS from another higher education institution is possible as long as the general admission requirements are met. Please check our admission requirements

Please notice, that you need to hand in a form for credit recognition in the first four weeks of the semester to the faculty of your degree programme, if you get admission to our university. This form can only be handed in once, so please prepare carefully.

Do other German or international universities recognize my bachelor‘s degree?

Yes, the THWS bachelor‘s degree is recognized worldwide. It is also possible to switch to other German or international universities without any problems. Please also read trough the admission requirements at the university of your choice.

What are the admission requirements for a degree programme?

- University entrance qualification, study record and/or further qualifications if required. The school education requirements you need to meet depend on the country in which you have achieved your highest qualification.

For the admission requirements for your home country, please see one of the databases under or

You'll find the language requirements for each programme on our website.

Applicants who have completed their school education or a university degree completely in German and/or English (for the programmes in English) and native speaker are exempt from this.

Please note that you have to fulfill additional requirements like a pre-study internship depending on the study programme. You can find this information at the profile of each programme. 

Please note that no exceptions will be made with regard to our admission requirements.

Which documents do I need for the application process?

Please check the following link for detailed information:

Why has my online application been returned to me?

There are different reason why your application has been returned:

Possibility 1: The documents required for the review process are incomplete

Possibility 2: The VPD you provided is not made out for THWS, but for a different higher education institution.

How can I find out my admission status and what does the status mean?

You may learn the status of your admission by checking the status field of your application account. It is therefore very important to regularly check your application account with the THWS apply manager.

For an explanation of the entry in the status field of your application account please refer to explanation of admission status.

- If you have already registered with uni-assist online, log into your account by using your login data.
- If you have not yet registered online, register first, stating the application number you have received from uni-assist.
After having logged in, click on “Application” in the menu.
You will find all your applications listed up, inlcuding the current status of each on the right side of the column.

THWS applicaction portal:
Log into the application portal by using your login data and check your status.
Please remember that university staff are unable to give you any detailed information about the status of your application while the application process is going on.
Any queries delay the application process immensely and, in the worst case, can prevent you from acquiring a visa in time.

What can I do, if I receive my VPD or APS after the end of the application period?

Your application cannot be processed without a VPD or APS! Exceptions exist only for applicants from certain regions. Information on this can be found on the language sub-pages (Turkish, Russian & Spanish).

Upload your VPD or APS as soon as you receive it. The individual faculty will decide whether your application can still be considered after the application period.

A late uploaded VPD or APS can only still be considered if the applicant can still arrive in Germany in time for the start of studies.

In case your application cannot be considered anymore, you can use the VPD or APS for your next application during the next possible application period. FHWS accepts a VPD for a period of 2 years from its issuing date. The APS certificate doesn't have an expiry date.

ATTENTION: This late upload of VPD or APS is only possible for non-restricted study programmes, not restricted by a numerus clausus or an entrance examination! 

Can I study a master's programme at THWS after I finished my bachelor's programme?

Yes, this is possible. Please note that we offer only a few master's programmes in English. You might have to do your master's programme in German, even if you completed your bachelor's programme in English.

You can find a list of all degree programmes on the following website:  Please also read through the Admission requirements of the master's programme of your choice.

Do I need German language proficiency for a TWIN study programme taught in English?

Yes, you need German language proficiency even if your study programme is taught in English. German language skills will help you to find accommodation, make new friends, at the city hall, find a job, etc. It simply makes your life much easier.

German language proficiency:

1. You don`t need initial German language proficiency for:
- Logistics
- Mechatronics
- Business & Engineering
But by the end of the second semester, you have to provide German A2 level.

2. You need German A2 level right from the start for:
- International Management

The according language proficiency test should not be older than one year.
You don`t have to provide this language proficiency test, if you:
- are German native speaker or
- have obtained a German school-leaving/study qualification.

THWS accepts the following types of language proficiency tests:
• Goethe Institute language certificate, min. Level A2
• Telc certificate, min. Level A2
• Deutsches Sprachdiplom der KMK (DSD), min. Level A2 in all parts
• SDI Munich Deutsche Sprachprüfung (DSP), min. Level A2
• UNIcert®, Level A2 (University of Applied Sciences Würzburg-Schweinfurt)
German language certificates listed on the THWS webpage under “Admission requirements” will also be accepted.

Students can attend German language courses during their studies:

Do I have to provide a certificate of German language skills in order to enroll?

That depends on the study programme you are interested in. Please check the profile of your favourite programme and find out which admission requirements are needed.

Do I need a pre-study internship?

Some study programmes require a pre-study internship:

- You can perform your internship in your home country.
- It has to be passed by the end of the second semester.
- You can can split your internship up.
- The internship certificate: it should be issued in the company or school where you did teh internship. There is no THWS form template. The certificate issued by the company should contain information about the person who has done the internship, duration of internship (exact start and end dates) and description of the work processes done by the the trainee.

Each study programme has different pre-study internsip requirements (content, duration etc.). Therefore, check the homepage of your study programme for information about it.

Information about the English TWIN-study programmes can be found here:

How can I find out whether my pre-study internship counts?

If you have already completed an internship, the university will examine it once you have begun your studies. You can obtain an application form for this from the Hochschulservice Studium.

Please note that we are unable to provide detailed information on whether your internships count before you have begun your studies.

Can I study a PhD programme at THWS?

Yes, THWS offers PhD programmes. These are often completed with the collaboration of industrial companies, or German or international universities. For more information, please contact the responsilbe faculty, at which you want to study the PhD programme.

How much are living expenses in Germany?

You can expect to spend an average of € 700 to € 900 per month. These costs are predominantly made up of your rent incl. additional charges such as Internet etc., food and spending on leisure activities. However, the amount you actually need will depend on your lifestyle.

You can find more information at step 10 on our web page:



What do I have to know, when my certificates need to be evaluated via APS (Academic Evaluation Centre)?

Applicants from India, China and Vietnam need their academic records assessed by the Academic Evaluation Centre (APS = German: Akademische Prüfstelle) to

-          apply to study at a German university

-          submit applications for a German student visa

As there is no expiry date of the APS’s authenticity certificate we highly recommend an application for the APS-certificate right after attaining your highest level of education.

Please find further information at the following links:

What do I have to know, when my certificates need to be evaluated via APS (Academic Evaluation Centre – APS = German: Akademische Prüfstelle)?

Applicants from India, China and Vietnam need their academic records assessed by the Academic Evaluation Centre (APS = German: Akademische Prüfstelle) to 

  • apply to study at a German university
  • submit applications for a German student visa

As there is no expiry date of the APS's authenticity certificate we highly recommend an application for the APS-certificate right after attaining your highest level of education. Please find further information at the following links: 

  • Academic Evaluation Center Beijing 
  • Academic Evaluation Center Hanoi 
  • Academic Evaluation Center New Delhi

Admission - Before your arrival at THWS

Which health insurance should I choose?

In order to enrol as a student at THWS, you need health insurance.

The THWS does not recommend taking out private health insurance.

Note: Please note that once you have started your studies with private health insurance, you cannot switch to public (statutory) health insurance for the entire duration of your studies!

You can take out statutory German health insurance before you come to Germany by contacting the health insurance company by email and requesting an online contract. You can ask the health insurance company to start making monthly payments after you arrive in Germany.

Once you have completed an online contract, the health insurance company will send a digital confirmation to the THWS, which is required for enrolment.

You can find the contact details of some German statutory health insurance providers such as AOK, Barmer, DAK or TK on our website under "Step 5".

If you would like to take out private insurance, you should check with a German statutory health insurance provider whether your private insurance is valid for your purpose of study. If it is valid, you must apply for an exemption from the German statutory health insurance and send this exemption certificate directly from the German statutory health insurance to the THWS.

How do I find accommodation in Würzburg or in Schweinfurt?

The THWS does not have student dormitories, but there are many external organisations that offer rooms in student dormitories. Students can also search for a room on the private housing market.

Information on accommodation can be found under step 2 on our website.

Additional information and assistance from other students in your search for accommodation can also be found on our Facebook groups "THWS International students -Schweinfurt" and "THWS International students - Würzburg".

What do I have to do after my admission?

To make sure you can start your studies straight away without any detours or annoying delays, we have compiled all the steps you need to take in a to-do list.

How do I obtain a certificate of enrolment for my visa application at the German Embassy?

International applicants use their letter of admission for the visa application.

First-semester students can download their enrolment certificate themselves from the THWS CampusPortal once they have received their student log-in data in the applicant portal. The log-in data will be available to freshmen in August or early September.

Tutorials on how to use the THWS CampusPortal can be found here.

First semester students who are not yet enrolled can receive a provisional confirmation from the International Office. Please contact: welcome[at]

How can I open a bank account in Schweinfurt?

Students can open a giro account at any bank in Germany. If you would like to open an account at the Sparkasse in Schweinfurt, please contact the International Office (HSIN) at the THWS by email: welcome[at]

What are my chances of admission?

No statements can be made about the chances of admission for the respective semester for programs with restricted admission (with NC). It depends on the number of applicants with a higher score. After the acceptance of applications is closed, all data are ranked, the number of students with the highest score is selected.


For degree programmes without NC, the general admission requirements and Application requirements  must be met.

When does the orientation programme take place?

The THWS offers the orientation programme for all new international students in September for winter semester and in March for the summer semester.
Please check for detailed information and schedule at step 6 on the following link :

The orientation sessions take place mostly in online form. Students are provided information about the study start at THWS, legal matters in Germany and intercultural training about life and study in Germany. The attendance is compulsory!

Do I need health insurance?

You must provide a valid certificate of health insurance cover in order to enrol at a German university. We recommend that you choose insurance from a German public health insurance provider. You will receive further support in this after enrolment and during the orientation weeks.

If you already have health insurance in your home country, please ask your provider whether you are also covered in Germany. If you are, you must provide a certificate to this effect no later than at the time of enrolment. A German health insurance provider can issue this certificate. In addition to health insurance, we highly recommend to choose a private liability insurance in addition. That will cover all the risks of daily life and costs around €80 per year. You can find information on liability insurance during the orientation weeks or from a German health insurance provider.

How can I find accommodation?

The THWS does not provide any dormitories but there are several institutions providing rooms in student dorms.
Please check the following page for further information on accomodation, step 2:

In addition, you can join our Facebook group "THWS International students- Schweinfurt" or "THWS International students- Würzburg". In these groups, students from higher semester put often rental offers when they want to leave their room or when they want to sublet it.

Do I need a visa?

EU member states, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland

Applicants from EU countries do not need a visa. Once you have found accommodation in Germany, you must register at the residents’ registration office (Einwohnermeldeamt) to receive your residency permit.

Non-EU member states

Applicants from Non-EU countries normally need a visa. Please contact the German embassy in your home country in order to find out if you will need a visa. This has to be issued for residency for the purpose of study. To receive a visa, you must provide proof of how you will finance your studies. This shows that you can afford to live in Germany for a year. The German embassy in your home country can provide you will information on how this proof should be provided. You can apply for a visa from the German embassy or consulate in your home country, before travelling to Germany. You can find more information, the addresses of embassies and consulates and the current visa regulations for all countries on the German Foreign Office website. Further you can find more information about visa regulations on the website of and


Apply for your visa in plenty of time, ideally as soon as you receive your acceptance. Applying for a visa can take weeks or even months. You must register with the foreign citizens’ office (Ausländerbehörde) within three months of arriving in Germany in order to obtain your residency permit for the purpose of study.

What do I have to do after having received my letter of admission from THWS?

1. Apply for a visa in time (if necessary).
2. Take care of your accommodation as soon as possible.
3. Prepare your journey.
4. Take part in the orientation programme in September (for winter semester) or March (for summer semester).
During the orientation programme, applicants will receive support with the following formalities:
- Enrolment, Study at THWS
- Address registration and residence permit
- Opening a bank account
- Health insurance
- Legal issues
- Intercultural training about life and study in Germany
- Leisure activities etc.

Please check the steps Before and After arrival at THWS:



Admission - After your arrival at THWS

How do first-semester students receive their student card?

If first-semester students have a German address, they will receive their card by post in September. If no German address is given in the application portal, first-semester students will receive the card from the International Office. Freshmen will receive detailed information about this at the beginning of September.

Can international students take German courses at the THWS?

International students can take German courses at the THWS in all levels from A1 to C1. More information can be found on the Center for Language Proficiency webpage.

When does the orientation programme take place?

Two weeks before the start of the term, THWS offers the orientation programme for all international students.
Please check the following link for detailed information:

Does THWS provide language courses?

Information about English and German language courses of THWS can be found on the following link:

What is the orientation programme?

The THWS offers the orientation programme for all new international students in September for winter semester and in March for the summer semester.
Please check for detailed information and schedule at step 6 on the following link :

The orientation sessions take place mostly in online form. Students are provided information about the study start at THWS, legal matters in Germany and intercultural training about life and study in Germany. The attendance is compulsory!




When can I enrol?

Enrolment at the THWS should be done in a digital way in the application account after receiving the email with the admisison information. In the admission email you will be requested to start the enrolment procedure by clicking on the icon "Enrol". 

Please check the following link for detailed information, step 6 and 7:

After starting the enrolment procedure, you can download your admission letter in your application account.

International students who have to apply for a student visa, will need this admission letter for their visa application.

In order to enrol, applicants will be requested to pay the semester contribution fee and to have health insurance.

The information about the payment is provided in the transfer form in the application account behind the letter "i".

In order to enrol at THWS as a student, you need a health insurance.

The FHWS does no recommend a private health insurance.
Please be aware of the fact that once you start your study with a private health insurance, you cannot switch to a public health insurance provider for the whole duration of your study programme!

You can take out a public German health insurance before coming to Germany by contacting them by email and getting a online contract. You can ask the health insurance provider to start with the monthly payments after arrival to Germany.

You can find the contact data of AOK, Barmer, DAK or TK on our webpage, step 5:

Once you have taken an online contract, the health insuracne provider will send a digital confirmation (M10) to the THWS which is requested for the enrolment.

It should also be noted that no confirmations can be sent out for manual payments. Please keep the payment proof in any case. Payments will be checked by the Student Affairs Office in the begin of August (for winter semester) or February (for summer semester). Then, if a health insurance is also available (your health insurance provider should send a digital confirmation directly to the THWS), the student status in the application will be changed to „Enroled“.
In this case, students will get their student log-in data in the application portal (behind the letter “i”).

After receiving your student log-in data, students can log in the THWS CampusPortal:

In the CampusPortal, students can download their certificate of enrolment.

Please check the tutorials how you use the THWS CampusPortal:







When will my degree programme start?

Most study progammes, including the TWIN-Bachelor degrees taught in English, start in winter semester. Check the homepage of your study programme.

The winter semester starts on 1st of October. The summer semester starts in 15th of March.

You can find information about semester start, important dates during the semester, lectures free days, holidays etc. in the academic calendar of each semester:




During your studies

Can I change my study programme?

Yes, you can change your study programme, BUT not at any time.

If you want to change, you have to apply for the new study programme like a new student during the regular application period.

Application period:

- Winter semester: 1.5.until 15.7.

- Summer semester 1.11 until 15.1.

- Application: Via online application portal:

Please note that some study programmes start only in winter semester.

If you don`t start as a beginner, but are already acknowledged for a higher semester, you can also start your study programmes in summer semester.

To be acknowledged for a higher semester, you need at least 4 subjects being recognized by the new study programme.

Depending on your study programme, the following documents are required beside your general application documents:

- Semester certificate (duration of previous studies).

- Confirmation of the grade or certificate of previous achievements.

- Study and examination regulations with hourly schedule and contents or module manual (preferably as file in PDF format).

- If applicable, proof of the service of the practical module.

- Exmatriculation certificate (if the student was enrolled in another German university).

- Where applicable, evidence of pre-practice (possible to submit it by the end of the 2nd semester).

The exam commission will decide if the previous exams make at least 20-15 credit points and an applicant can be admitted to the second semester.

IMPOTANT: Please keep in mind that students can change their study programme ONLY of they have received the approval from the Foreigners Office in the City Hall (Ausländerbehörde).

If students change their study programme without the apporoval of the Foreigners Office, the Foreigners Office will report them to the department of the public prosecution.

For this, students should contact the Foreigners Office BEFORE changing the study programme and ask for an approval.



What should I do if I lost my THWS student card or have problems using it?

First ask at the post office, library, and service point, if your FHWS student card was found. If you cannot find your card, you have to apply for new one.

1. In Würzburg

Students in Würzburg can address the following office (Kartenbüro):

Münzstraße 12, First floor, Mr. Baier.

At the entrance, turn left. The second door is the card office.

2. In Schweinfurt

Students in Schweinfurt can address the IT Service Center (ITSC) and ask for a new card by sending an email to: helpdesk.itsc[at]

If the THWS student card gets lost, students have to pay 20 euro for a new card. If the student card does not work anymore, the new card will be provided for free.

What is GEZ?

GEZ is the German broadcast fee for public radio, television and internet use.

• Every household has to pay € 17.50 per month

• People sharing an apartment share the costs: They divide the amount by the number of people in the flat, but one person should register

• You can pay the fee every three, four, six, or 12 months

Can I download music or movies?

• Downloading and sharing movies and music is illegal and STRICTLY forbidden in Germany!!!

• Fines starting from € 1,500

Does THWS provide WLAN?

Enroled students can use the WLAN of the THWS using their k-number and password which they get at the time of personal enrolment.

WLAN name: FHWS (or THWS)

What happens if I failed an exam?

- Each student has the right to take an exam ONLY three times => failing three times => exmatriculation

- Rule upon failing: the student is obliged to take the exam for the second time within the next 6 months (next semester after failure), the third time of examination can be taken within the next 12 months.  It means if the student fails the exam at the second attempt too, he/she can try for the third time within 12 months.

- Every exam is offered every semester

- Some lectures are sometimes offered only in the winter or only in the summer semester.

In case student is sick on the day of an examination and there is an exam deadline, the student should submit a medical report. Otherwise, it will be counted as a failed attempt due the examination deadline. You can read the regulation of the examinations deadlines in the SPO-file of each study programme which is published on the web page of each study programme.

The medical report should be submitted together with an application form for prolongation of the exam deadline which is available on the web page of Student Affairs Office:


Are there exam deadlines?

- §18 from the SPO:

- Every study programme has determined basic subjects.

- Examination of basic subjects: must be taken at least once until the end of the 2nd semester.

- The basic subjects differ in every study programme.

- Apart from the basic subjects:

1. Subjects from 1-2 semester => must be taken at least once until the end of the 3d semester

2. Subjects from 3-4 semester => end of 6th semester

3. Subjects from 5-7 semester => end of 9th semester

What is SPO?

Every faculty has their own Study and Examination regulations (SPO) and General Examination Regulations (APO) which are published on the web page of each faculty and study progarmme:

- These documents contain information about exam deadlines, re-sitting an exam after failure, leave of absence, modules, examinations, semester abroad, internship, bachelor thesis etc.

- It is extremely important to read these regulations carefully!!!

How do I dis-enroll?

If you are enrolled at THWS and would like to leave the university, you should de-register by submitting an application form for de-registration to the Student Affairs Office of your study programme (the office where you get your student ID card).

You can find the application form on the following link:

When do exchange students receive the Transcript of Records (ToR)?

The transcripts are not issued every semester. The transcripts of records for exchange students are issued after the exchange students have completed their study stay at FHWS.

Transcripts are always issued two weeks after semester start:

1. middle of October or

2. begin of April.

- The International Office at THWS will send the transcripts to the exchange students and to their coordinator at the home university by email.

- Until the end of October or end of April, exchange students can download the overview of their exam results from the THWS CampusPortal:



What are the emergency numbers in Germany?

• Call 112 for emergencies ambulance or fire department. 110 for police.

• Keep the door closed. In Germany, living on ground floor does not pose a threat.

What is re-enrollment?

Students are enrolled for JUST one semester. If they want to continue their studies, students have to re-enroll for the next semester.

Please use the following link to re-enrol yourself at FHWS:

Re-enrolment deadline:

1. Winter semester: 15.01.-27.01.

2. Summer semester: 29.06.-10.07.

Exchange students who stay longer than one semester at THWS or take part in an internship semester also have to re-enroll.

Re-enrolment procedure:

1. Please save the confirmation message (the last step in the re-enrollment procedure) about your successful re-enrolment in the portal as a PDF file for verification purposes (e.g. in case you need to apply for a prolongation of your residence permission).

2. A confirmation mail about the successful re-enrolment will be sent to your THWS student email address at the latest by 21.07.

3. After the confirmation message was successfully registered in the portal, the semester fee will be debited from the student`s account in the beginning of September or in February. Please ensure that you have enough money on your account around that time.

4. In case of a defective direct debit, the amount of the semester fee plus the reimbursement charges (€ 6) should be transferred by the student to the THWS account.

5. After having successfully debited the semester fee, the student is automatically re-enrolled for the next semester.

Enrolment certificates (“Immatrikulationsbescheinigung”) for the next semester can be obtained around two weeks before the start of the new semester in the student portal (

Enrolment after the regular re-enrolment period:

1. If you have missed the regular re-enrolment period, you can re-enroll by 31st January or 31st July (please wait for the reminder email to be sent to you!).

2. If you did not manage to re-enroll yourself successfully, your student ID card won`t be valid in the next semester and you will be exmatriculated.

Please notice that you have to validate your THWS student card each semester (two weeks before the start of the new semester) after having successfully re-enrolled at THWS!

Who can I contact when I have technical difficulties?

IT Service Center (ITSC)

Problems with: 

• your internet log-in data

• software problems

• printer problems

• problems with your computer


- Schweinfurt: Campus 1 (next to the computer pools, after the orange tables)

- Würzburg: Pavillon, Münzstraße 19 (behind the tall building)

• Opening hours:

Monday to Friday

 8.30 am – 5 pm

• E-Mail:

How can I share large amounts of data during my studies?

To share files or folders:

First steps description:

No back up system, no security by ITSC

What should I do if I lost my THWS student card or have problems using it?

If you're at the Würzburg campus, you can reach out to the Card Service Office located at Münzstr. 12, Room M.-01.03, or send an email to telefonzentrale-wue[at]

For those at the Schweinfurt campus, you can contact the University Library at Campus Ignaz Schön, Room 7.E.17, or send an email to bib-sw[at]

If you happen to find a THWS Card that belongs to someone else, please return it to the nearest service center. If you're at a location without a service center, you can drop it off at the Technical Services Office.

Which subjects count towards my degree?

You must first enrol at our university before we can assess whether studies you have completed in the past can count towards your degree. Once you have begun your degree programme, you can make an application to the Hochschulservice Studium for previous studies to be taken into account.

As a general rule, subjects/courses can be counted towards your degree if they are similar to the programme here in terms of content, number of teaching hours and credits awarded.

Please note that we are unable to provide specific information on which of and whether your subjects count towards your degree.

Can I work during my studies?

Students from non-EU countries

You may work for 120 full or 240 half days per year. If you work as a student assistant at the university or company, these times may be higher.

Students from EU countries

No limitations on work.

Please note that you should always focus your efforts on your studies. Because of the high number of students, the THWS is unable to offer assistance in finding a job.